first microblog

February 21, 2018
I'm beginning reading Kavalier & Clay. This book is so dense, it's fairly overwhelming. Before a guard clinic, I had 45 minutes and I just read. I got so into this incredible book.

Kavalier & Clay requires me to research a ton of things. While reading the first paragraph there were at least fives words that I didn't understand in the slightest. I could assume, but I couldn't truly understand. I've made it a system that while I read I write the words I don't understand on a sticky note and research them later. It doesn't affect my understanding of the plot, but the vocabulary is extremely advanced.

Michael Chabon sure does now how to sprinkle in the most perfect words- regardless of whether or not the general public can understand.

This is referencing chapters 1 and 2, for this massive book it's something to be able to read this is this period of time.

vocab meanings: (this isn't to show off this is for more of my own learning)

apropos: used to state a speaker's belief that someone's comments or acts are unrelated to any previous discussion or situation.

Angoulême: Angoulême is a commune, the capital of the Charente department, in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region of southwestern France. The inhabitants of the commune are known as Angoumoisins or Angoumoisines


angosies: 


repose: a state of rest, sleep, or tranquility.


contrivance: the use of skill to bring something about or create something.


transmuting: change in form, nature, or substance.


tandem: having two things arranged one in front of the other.


fokkers: Fokker was a Dutch aircraft manufacturer named after its founder, Anthony Fokker. The company operated under several different names, starting out in 1912 in Schwerin, Germany, moving to the Netherlands in 1919. During its most successful period in the 1920s and 1930s, it dominated the civil aviation market.


tenuous: very slender or fine; insubstantia


(Milton) Caniff: Milton Arthur Paul "Milt" Caniff was an American cartoonist famous for the Terry and the Pirates and Steve Canyon comic strips.


omniveillant:  loupe is a magnifying glass for jewelers and watchmakers. veiller is a french verb meaning to watch over, to take care. veillant is the present participle, watching over, or taking care. best guess for omniveillant: watching over everything.


spacek: Mary Elizabeth "Sissy" Spacek (/ˈspeɪsÉ›k/; born December 25, 1949) is an American actress and singer. She began her career in the early 1970s and first gained attention for her role in the film Badlands (1973).


Kippe: fag, cigarette butt


selvage: an edge produced on woven fabric during manufacture that prevents it from unraveling.


Recihsprokektorat: (this a summation of research) Basically the protectorate were sections of the countries that were controlled by the Reichsprotektor- in this book the context was ties to the Reichsprokektorat, meaning ties to the German Local Government. 


ausbrecher: comes from German, it means "runaway"

proponent: A person who advocates a theory, idea, or proposal.

Molotov- Ribbentrop Pact: Neutrality and peace agreement between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union

The Golem: A common story amongst jewish folklore- However in this it is based aroundt he real, physical Golem of the tale. Since this story is fiction, many things can be changed a little bit to approach reality but give an element of escapism. The Golem's story is that the Rabbi Löw's Magical Powers were due to control of all four elements. It is said he created the Golem out of the mud on the banks of Prague. The Golem was created for protective reasons, and the Golem could become invisible with the help of a necklace. In the same vein of Frankenstein's Monster, Golem became uncontrollable and angry andthe had to have his life tablet taken out forever- the object that allowed him to be mobilized.  

Bahnhof: Apparently is the first Swedish internet provider. Go figure. (not related to the story and cannot find applicable definition) 

Cagneyesque: Similar or relating to James Cagney- known for his energetic speaking, distinctive comic delivery, and for his film career. Fairly dead- pan comic. 

Inoculation: the act of being innoculized

Inoculate: To treat someone, a person or animal, with a vaccine

Josefov: The former jewish Ghetto. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a lot of words. Not only is this book thick, but it's also incredibly sophisticated. I applaud you for choosing such a difficult read. While I'm glad that the book is intricate and also manages to keep your interest, I couldn't help but wonder if these words were hindering your progress or how you processed the book. Like you said, when you first came across the words you would guess what they meant. Do you think this effects how you take in the story? I only ask because I know it would certainly stump me. All in all, this book sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.