big blog #4

April 15, 2018
Impressionism, and post-impressionist movements, rely on leaving a standard impression and leaving the view with an indisputable evocation of a memory, feeling, or sensation.

I am reading the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas in a collected works of Gertrude Stein.
I think that the cover should be as much of a piece of art as the writing. Gertrude stein writes from Alice's perspective, but it is most certainly written from her experiences with Alice helping her compile. There's a definite tilt of the importance of comments to be added, and the significance of painting Getrude in a fine light. With my cover I tried to use acrylic paint to make a color palette background, and then used ink on top to make the silhouettes of Alice and Gertrude. Although alice is the Center, in the mirror behind Alice you can see Gertrude looking at the subject. They're here together, but Gertrude's drawn in a more cubist style while I directly tried to outline a photograph of Alice.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.