microblog #8 I am the dumbest boy in school

April 15, 2018
before we begin, here is some mood music.



I have never felt dumber.


Okay, so look at yourself. No, not in a mirror. Look at your personality. You think you're smart, right?

You understand that in school there are people dumber than you.

You can realize that there's street smart, book smart, and wit smart.

Within book smart, there's culture smart, science, ecetera.

You can group yourself into these areas.

I consider myself not to be the most intelligent, but smart.

I'd say when I'm awake I'm quick with a wit. I'd say that my reading level is very good.

Considering for all of the years of my life leading up to eighth grade I read while I did everything, eating, walking, "doing homework", brushing my teeth, etc, I would think I am good at reading.

My parents have put in a lot of effort to make me "cultured" but mostly there is an air of pretension, I know art movements and artists. I like poetry generally, but only at surface level. I like the air of poetry but I'm not great at deciphering.

Gertrude Stein was an incredible poet. She lived and ran a house in Paris where all the famous artists frequented. Post-Impressionism also was a start of all forms of art representing the voice of the forgotten people.

I tried reading the rest of Gertrude Stein's work and it went over my head.
To some, the Autobiography of Alice B Toklas is the most palatable.

It's prose but it's also so astonishing how much I cannot read it. I've been trying to read it for all of break

I don't know if you know, but that feeling of laying, completely awake, in bed- staring at the ceiling. And all of sudden, you can hear the sound of the watch in your dresser drawer, the heat actively going through your house, the blood in your fingertips.

that total feeling of non-stimulation so that you can absorb all information.

I couldn't take in any information from the book. I've reread the whole section and yet I can't take in the plot, the characters, or retain what I've read.

I've never felt dumber. The names of painters and paintings I've heard of my whole life are running through my mind swiftly and out just as quickly.

This book is not at a particularly high reading level at its root, it's just veiled. This is a poet writing prose, and these paragraphs are all melodic and make sense but the priorities of the stories are astonishing.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.